Monday, November 1, 2010

packing list, part one - the luggage

We did not know what to expect really when we first started packing for our year in Honduras. We knew that it would be warm, and sometimes rainy.
I was told that it was not acceptable for girls to wear shorts, and that one ought to wear skirts instead.
I didn't know what kind of electrical outlets they would have there.
We didn't know what we would be able to, or wouldn't be able to, find here.

The plan is to tell you what we decided to bring. At the end of the year, I will write another post about the things I wish we would have brought, the things we could have done with out, and of what items I would have brought more or less.


The luggage


To start, Alex and I brought all of our things in 4 bags: one 80 liter backpack, one 65 liter backpack, one carry-on size luggage, and one regular size backpack. We flew Spirit Air, so we didn't want to bring too many bags because they charge for that.

Plus, we were told to pack less, not more.

Alex had the 80 liter JanSport from his pack packing trip to Europe in 2004. It is a little older, but definitely functional. It had a lot of pockets, and we definitely stuffed them full. The only thing we had a problem with was it fitting properly. You want your pack to fit correctly, especially when it's just about 50 lbs.

I purchased a Gregory 65 liter from Steep and Cheap for under $100. They definitely have packs designed for women, but I didn't not have a problem with this one fitting. I wished it was a little bigger, but it was such a good deal, and we were running out of time, that I had to just get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment