Tuesday, November 16, 2010

soccer and riddles

Today was one of the better days we've had at school.

This is not to say that everyday is horrible. Not at all.
It's just that this one was particularly enjoyable.


The class part, in the early part of the day, went as usual.
Then during lunch, some of the 6th graders, to whom I teach spelling, came up to me and Alex and asked "Where are you going to take us for PE, Mr. Alex?".

We both look at each other, remember that Marco had said something about PE but never really firmed things up, and think wtf?
Alex goes to talk to Marco about what PE here actually entails. Luckily, it's not too intensive; it's just to keep them active.

Once we get over the shock of having a PE class sprung on us (I say us because I will probably end up helping since I know these kids better than he does), we start thinking of games. Tag; red light, green light; freeze tag; wall ball; dodge ball; and the old favorite soccer. I totally suggested freeze tag, but he decided to go with soccer, a game that many of the boys here love.

At first, the girls were very hesitant to play. That's where I came in.
We decided that it would be the teachers and the girls against the boys. It was going pretty well, but some 8th grade boys came to help us out and that's when it got really competitive.

The girls still had a hard time joining in, but they got a couple of good plays.
I gave them sweet advice like "beat up the boys", "pick one boy and then follow him", "yell at them when they get close to you". And then I showed them how to do this. I was assertive and sometimes the boys fell to the ground. I followed one poor boy around and whenever he got the ball, I would get in his space and scream "AHHH!!!"
If nothing else, they all found it entertaining. My main hope is that the girls will learn to be more assertive, and that I showed them a good example of how to do this.


After the game, we were all super sweaty. It wasn't hot outside, but it was very sunny with a light breeze. We hadn't planned on playing an intense game of soccer, so we were dressed in our usual long sleeves.

Some of the 8th grade boys had started doing their homework and as we were leaving, Alex asked them if they had any questions. Thought it was pretty late (3pm) for us to be at school, we ended up staying and helping with homework.
Somehow, this study session turned into a riddle/joke telling session. It would go back and forth, with the kids telling one, and then Mr. Alex. Some they had heard, and some we had heard.

I think this was a really good interaction for us to have with the boys. Usually, we are very strict in class, and often times have them do things that they don't want (homework, seating arrangements, etc). But, outside of class, we're a little different. I think it's good for students to see their teachers more as humans, like them, and less like an authority figure, at some point.


We finally left the school around 4pm.
On a normal day, I would have complained about leaving so late. But, because the end of the day had gone so well, and because the power was still out all over town, I wasn't upset. Really, it's not like we had anything to rush home to... no computer and the water would be too cold to shower.

So, it was an enjoyable, productive, albeit unconventional, day.

No comments:

Post a Comment